Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Moving Forward

First I want to say thank you for all of your kind comments and wishes. They really made my day. Loosing a horse is not easy but you all made it a little better. So thank you.

Lady and I are doing well.

She doesn't seem to mind having the pasture all to herself. Which is really good since I was concerned as to how she would react being on her own. She and Mya were close and the place I got her from had several horses. So I was concerned that she would be lonely with Mya gone. But she doesn't really seem to mind being out in the field by herself. She is eating and relaxing like normal. The only difference I've noticed is that she acts more interested in people. I guess with horses not around she reluctantly resigns herself to the company of humans instead. With I find slightly amusing but don't mind in the least. We're spending some good quality time together.

I've actually decided to switch her over to hoof boots. Her previous owners over fed her and let her founder (Laminitis) pretty badly so she has terrible feet. Over the past year we've tried shoeing but it really doesn't work and the shoes irritate her feet. So, after quite a lot of research, I've decided to get rid of metal shoes and switch her over to hoof boots. For turnout right now she wears a pair of EasyBoot therapeutic hoof boots.

I just got her feet trimmed up today and she now has both boots on the front feet. And I have to say, I'm already seeing a huge difference! Hopefully her lameness issues will continue to clear up, but things are looking pretty promising.

I also want to order her a separate pair of boots for riding. The one above is more designed for turnout than riding, and it would be good to have at least two pair of boots anyway in case she looses one or one breaks. I'm leaning towards a pair of Cavallos. They come with gel inserts which I'm sure Lady would love.

Does anyone have experience with hoof boots and foundered horses? 
Any advice you could recommend?

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Mya. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no experience with boots - but a lot of folks (esp endurance riders) seem to use them with success so hopefully they'll work for Lady! glad she's handling Mya's loss relatively well - hope you're ok too!

    ReplyDelete