Thursday, February 13, 2014

New Bit

I have been having a few problems with Mya's bit. I was using a loose ring snaffle and sometimes when she was in a mood it would pull through her mouth. Honestly I think she just didn't like the bit. I figured it was time to try a new one. Just for the fun of it I decided to go searching on eBay. I'd never bought anything off eBay before and figured it might be fun. After some research elsewhere I decided on a full-cheek snaffle bit. I found an english bridle on eBay that also came with that bit. So I decided to buy that one. When it came in the mail I cleaned the bridle with saddle soap, and I boiled the bit in water just to make sure there weren't any horsey germs on it. I've read you aren't supposed to wash a bit with soap because it'll make it taste bad to the horse. Putting it in a pot of boiling water was the only way I could think of to disinfect it. (Anyone know of a better way?) Anyways I think it worked pretty well. Monday I finally had the chance to try the new bit on Mya for the first time. The change was amazing! She definitely likes this bit better. I'm glad I decided to try it. Can't wait to work with her some more with the new bit. But the weather kind of took over and I haven't been able to ride since the beginning of the week. There is a TON of snow outside. (and its absolutely gorgeous!) But it looks like we'll have to wait a couple days until we can ride again...

1 comment: