Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Canter Training and Rope Halters

     My horse has such heart. She is one of those horses they will try just about anything for you. Not that she succeeds in everything, but at least she tries. Mya is also the kind of horse that learns quickly. It does not take her long to catch on to something. Sometimes she just makes me proud. :)

     We were out in my roundpen practicing lunging. I have worked with Mya a lot on the lunge line to get her to stay calm and collected. A lot of horses, read Lady, do not want to canter. This is not the case with my feisty bay. She absolutely loves cantering. So her big training was actually getting her to walk and trot calmly. I'm proud to say that with a little work we have accomplished that goal. Now the goal is to teach her to canter with control. I don't want her to madly gallop around the place. I want to her to learn to canter calm and collective. None of this race-horse-nose-up-in-the-air stuff. Mya is getting tons better though and I am quite happy with her progress. The last time I lunged her we worked on transitions from trot to canter and canter to trot. What I think is awesome about this horse is that to get her to canter you only have to say the word. "Canter" and she is off. Mya is nice about paying attention to you when you work her.

      I was never really a fan of rope halters before, but now they are kind of starting to grow on me. I'm thinking about buying a couple more. I'd really like to get one specifically for Lady. Anyone have suggestions for colors? I was thinking either light blue for Mya and pink for Lady or the other way around. I found this website for rope halters which seemed to have a pretty good selection and I liked the variety of colors. Hey color is important, right? 
If there was one picture that described Lady's personality it would be this. lol. Typical mare.


     Anyways, Mya is still a little tender in her right front hoof, so I haven't ridden her recently. But I'm hoping that by next week she'll be doing better and we can put in some serious work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karis! I just have to say that this picture of Lady is just way too cute!!! Of course, Mya is adorable as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sunset halters are wonderful! I know a few people who love their halters and the customer service is great. I cant wait to order Baylee one.

    ReplyDelete