Monday, May 19, 2014

A Different Horse

     I'm starting to realize that after having Mya for two years I really trained her to do a lot. We have worked through a lot of problems in the those two years. Because I have this new horse I am noticing just how much of the stuff I did with Mya I am going to have to do with this horse. Its funny that I find myself comparing the two horse. Mya is more relaxed on the ground. Lady picks up her feet better. Mya lunges better. Lady is quicker to learn backing up. I suppose the lesson I need to learn here is that each horse is different. Lady has a very different personality than Mya. I shouldn't expect Lady to act like Mya or have the same manners. She hasn't learned them yet! But I am confident she will learn them. We will just have to work on it.
     Speaking of lunging, we had an interesting experience with that. It was actually pretty funny. I'm outside doing some groundwork with Lady, and we were practicing things like backing up and leg yields. She was doing pretty good with that so I was like lets give lunging a try. Now Mya when I first got her would lunge but all she would do was gallop madly around in circles. She wouldn't lunge calmly for anything. (I have since then cured her of that and she is actually pretty good at it now.) So I wasn't exactly sure what to expect about Lady. Lady. Won't. Lunge. I tried to send her out on a circle and she didn't have a clue what to do! This horse has never been taught to lunge. So the next 20 minutes was spend just trying to get one decent circle each way. Which we did accomplish but it took awhile. I was pretty surprised that this horse had never been taught that before. But guess what she'll be learning!


1 comment:

  1. You're getting a lot of experience at training horses! I cannot wait to see Lady, she looks so cute :) I was out walking down the road today, and saw Mya leaning over the fence, so I stopped to say hi... she looks so pretty with her shiny summer coat :D

    ReplyDelete