Thursday, May 29, 2014

Round We Go

    
     You can't beat free, right? I'm beginning to think that should be my motto with horses. (Especially since both horses were free to begin with.) The free thing of the day is a corral/roundpen. Now its not your typical round-pen. No, this one is quite different. But the point is that is works! We built it out of this green fencing and fence posts that someone had given to us. (that where the free bit comes in) We built it pretty big. Small enough that I can free lunge the horses and big enough that you can ride in it.
     We had our first experience using it this morning. I lunged both the horses in it and did we have a fun time. Who knew a makeshift round-pen could be so much fun! Mya was of course the hyper one. She had to get out some galloped circles first. Though by the end she was a very responsive horse. I was impressed. All our groundwork on the line paid off. We were both having a lot of fun. Lady was a little different. Her favorite gait is the walk. If you add a lot of pressure you can get her to trot but cantering is nearly impossible. (though we did get a few strides) Lady is kind of cute though. I was joking that she was on The Biggest Loser for Horses. She's a bit fat and didn't want to work. Her trot is so funny. She is definitely not a fancy mover. Cute, but by no means fancy.  Still it was cool to see what she would do. Both horses were fun to work with. Mya is definitely my girl though, and she paid way more attention to me than Lady did. Lady still needs some work.

Mya was being adorable and following me around.

1 comment:

  1. I love it when they join up! My favorite thing about my horse is how excited he gets when I allow him to join up, lol!

    ReplyDelete