Saturday, May 17, 2014

Make that Two: Meet Lady!

     This past week has been a bit of an adventure. (and a little crazy!)

 I suppose the story's true beginning is about a month ago...

Back when I wrote the blog post about spending the day with my farrier I noticed that they had gotten a new horse. It was a cute smaller horse, probably a pony, that someone had given to them for free. We thought that was really neat, and my mom and I were asking about it. They said that they were going to resell it to somebody else.

Well that got us to thinking about how we might like a second horse.

I talked to the farrier about that the horse that they had just gotten and they said it probably wasn't a good match for us. (we wanted a really gentle and dead broke horse) They ended up selling that horse to someone else anyway.

 But in the process, we asked them to keep an eye out for a horse for us.

Now around a week ago I get a call from them saying they had indeed found us a horse.

I was of course very, very excited.

The people that owned the horse wanted to give it away free to a good home. They already had too many horses on their small pasture. So we called this person up who had the horse an arranged a time to come look at it.

It pretty much rained and drizzled the whole time we were looking at the horse so we didn't stay long. I didn't get much of a chance to do anything with it. Really the only things I learned from that first visit was that she would pick up her feet good and that she was a bit fat. I don't know a ton about horse shopping so I just called my farrier back and asked them what they thought of the horse. They told me that it was a great deal and that I should get the horse. They even offered to let me use their trailer to pick it up since I don't have one of my own. So trusting my farrier's judgement we called the owner back and said we would take the horse.

     The day we went out there to get it was an adventure in itself.

For one I woke up that morning feeling sick. I woke up with a migraine which is like the worst possible way to get them. But knowing me I was like I am not going to miss my first chance to pick up and trailer a horse. Not gonna happen. So I just tried to eat some food and took some tylonal and just prayed that I would survive. (I somewhat regretted my decision to go after the second time I threw up but whatever..)

After a rather, er, interesting hour long car ride we finally got there. (the things I do for horses amazes me... lol) We pulled up their driveway and parked the trailer. I was glad to see that they already had the horse out. I had never loaded a horse before so I wasn't too sure about the whole thing. We were all just hoping the horse would be easy to load. I was quite pleased to see that it did. It walked right into the trailer no problem.

The owners told us that they rode the horse in a hackamore (it was actually more like a bosal) and they gave us the horse's one. And that was about it.

We got back in the truck and drove home. The mare did great the whole drive. I was impressed.

Once we got home I just unloaded her and walked her over to my small paddock area. Its just a smaller pen which has the stall/shelter in it.

I had put Mya out in the front pasture the night before so they were separated by a pasture. I wanted to give the new horse time to settle in before I introduced the two.

So that is where it stayed for the first two days. Yesterday I let the new horse into the small pasture to the right of the paddock. It was amusing to watch her trot around it. This horse has more personality than I originally thought.

After much deliberation, we've decided to name her Lady.

Lady is a 14 year old quarter horse mare. She is shorter than Mya and fatter. I still haven't introduced them yet. I'll probably to that some time next week. For now I'm just working with Lady and trying to settle her in.

We have her on somewhat of a trial basis. The farrier told me that if we ended up not liking her that they would want her. But for now we are just getting to know her.

I am anticipating the next sunny day so that I can ride her. Its been raining every day since we got the horse.

 I am hoping that she will turn out to be a great horse. I really hope she is as dead broke as I've been told. But for now I have been having fun getting to know a new horse. I'm curious to see where this will go..
Meet Lady


4 comments:

  1. Karis, my little niece, you are quite a horseman. I love your adventures, and your Love for your animals. You are one God Given Neat Young Lady. Love ye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady. Is. Adorable. I really hope she works out for you, because it would just be awesome for Mya to have a friend, and to be able to ride with somebody else! You'll have to post about your first ride on Lady! (By the way, tomorrow's supposed to be 77 and sunny...;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's adorable!! :) Good luck with her! I'm scrolling through older posts to catch up, haha!

    ReplyDelete