Monday, November 10, 2014

I Have a Curly Horse?

Back when Lady was growing her winter coat, it was the same time she had the really bad abscess. I noticed that her coat looked very different from Mya's but I just thought it had something to do with her being under the weather, her being dirty, or something like that. But, what do you know, I don't think it's any of that at all!

I believe Lady has wavy or curly hair!


I've only ever seen her with her summer coat before, so I had no idea.

Her mane doesn't have any wave to it. Its mostly just her body.


I wasn't expecting this at all. Mya gets this really pretty fuzziness in the winter. (Its pretty cute.) But Lady looks completely different. Its almost like her hair is thicker or denser or something. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. She's not a complete curly horse but her hair is definitely wavy.


Do any of you have a horse who has hair like this?



5 comments:

  1. Hmm, definitely looks curly! Maybe she has some Bashkir in her bloodlines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was riding a curly horse a couple of winters ago - his coat was very similar, so fun :) Be careful though, as that wild thick wavy hair can also be a sign of Cushings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute! would love to see a full-body pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I leased a 50% Bashkir Curly previously and her coat was a bit like this. Another characteristic of the Curly is a mane that is more "fuzzy" than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spend a lot of time at a friend's farm where they raise curlies, and there's a definite possibility she's curly! There's different amounts of curl depending on the horse, and there's even straight haired curlies!

    ReplyDelete