Thursday, November 13, 2014

Poor Spoiled Horsey

Mya is becoming a bit spoiled recently. I walked outside yesterday and as soon as I said something she started whinnying at me.  I told her that she already getting fed feed twice a day and she does not need to be fed more! 

Of course its all do to the fact that she has a respiratory infection.

You're supposed to be spoiled a bit when you're sick, right?

The vet prescribed two medicines for her. They're powdered, supposed to be mixed with her food, and given to her twice a day.



And because Mya is picky and she thinks they taste bad (seriously, this is the horse who doesn't like peppermints), I've been mixing the medicine with applesauce and her feed. I put about a cup of apple sauce (its actually homemade) in a bucket and then mix her medicine and feed it.


Then I proceed to mix it up, while Mya waits impatiently outside the tack. All resulting is an oh-so-appetizing mixture that looks a bit like this.


Yet, even with the applesauce and feed mixed in with the medicine she is still picky about it. I generally end up making her like a layered salad in hopes that she actually eat it. I'll put the mixture down,then a few alfalfa cubes on top, and then sprinkle it all with a little more feed. That generally tricks her enough to eat the medicine.

"Nom nom nom nom..."

I can already see an improvement though. Which is awesome. Like really, really awesome. No one likes to see their horse sick. Even though it hasn't effected her daily life. She's basically just had a gross runny nose. But, hey, I'm just happy to see that the medicine is working.

Get better soon pony!

2 comments:

  1. Glad she's feeling better and enjoying her special meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww glad she's doing better? she reminds me of my cats - 'feeeed me, feeeeeeed me! but, ew, not *that*' lol

    ReplyDelete