Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Equine First Aid

I haven't been blogging that much recently because, honestly, I haven't had anything to blog about. Not unless you want to hear all the woes of having a lame horse, that is. But I think things are finally looking up.

Well kind of.

Lady is doing a lot better. That incident with the abscess was not cool. Like. At all. But yesterday I walked up to my stable to feed the ponies and they heard me of course and started coming up to the barn. Mya is usually the excited one, and she generally canters up to the stable whinnying as she goes. (its really kind of funny how this horse is obsessed with food) But today it was Lady who was eager to come. When she saw me at the stable she started up toward me (I have a big pasture) and she actually started trotting. I have never been so happy to see a horse pick up the trot in all my life. And it was up a hill no less! She didn't canter like Mya but that is no surprise. Lady picking up the canter is a rare occurrence. So I am happy to say that her abscess is almost completely healed, and I couldn't be happier about it!

Now on to Mya.

The vet is coming tomorrow to look at Mya because she's had this strange thing about getting nose bleeds. They are small, but a nose bleed none the less. At first I thought it might be allergies or the changing of the weather. But as they have persisted I thought it would be a good idea to have the vet come take a look at her. So that is what is happening tomorrow.

Hopefully everything will work itself out eventually. In the meantime I am learning a lot about equine first aid.


No comments:

Post a Comment